Skip to main content

Anti-imperial Block of Nations

General Eirik Kristoffersen, Chief of Defence of Norway, has said that Oslo cannot rule out the possibility of a Russian invasion and stressed that the country is preparing for a scenario in which Moscow could attempt to seize part of Norwegian territory.

Source: Kristoffersen in an interview with The Guardian

Details: Russia could resort to a ground invasion to secure its nuclear arsenal located on the Kola Peninsula near the Norwegian border. Kristoffersen emphasised that these facilities, including nuclear submarines and missiles, are the only Russian assets that pose a real threat to the United States.

Quote: “We don’t take that off the table, because it’s still an option for Russia to do that to make sure that their nuclear capabilities, their second strike capabilities, are protected. That’s the scenario in the high north that we plan for.”

Details: Kristoffersen noted that although Russia is not currently seeking to fully subjugate Norway, control over Norwegian territory could become strategically necessary for Moscow in the event of a conflict with NATO. He added that preparations by the Norwegian armed forces include both repelling a conventional attack and countering hybrid threats and sabotage.

“If you prepare for the worst, there is nothing that prevents you from also being able to counter sabotage and more hybrid threats,” he said.

Speaking about the Svalbard archipelago, which hosts a Russian settlement and is designated as a demilitarised zone under the 1920 treaty, Kristoffersen said that Russia is “respecting the treaty” and that Norway does not plan to deploy armed forces there.

Commenting on the war in Ukraine, he warned Moscow that holding occupied territories inevitably becomes excessively costly and exhausting. He stressed that if the local population rejects occupation, the aggressor ultimately always loses.

“To occupy in the first place is often very easy, but to keep the occupation going is very, very hard. And I think all expansionist powers have experienced that,” Kristoffersen said.

Background: Previously, Kristoffersen stated that NATO has a window of two to three years to strengthen its defence capabilities before Russia prepares its forces for a possible attack on the Alliance.

Українська правда

More from the category

In Russian-occupied Bashkortostan, an oil refinery caught fire after a UAV attack August 19, 2026 News In Ufa, a plant at one of the oil refineries caught fire after a drone…
1,300 km from the border: The General Staff confirmed a strike on a refinery in Bashkortostan temporarily occupied by Russia August 13, 2026 News On the night of 13 August, the Defenсe Forces struck the Gazprom Neftekhim Salavat oil…
Statement from the Tatarstan Independence Committee regarding the drone attack on Nizhnekamsk August 10, 2026 News Today, Nizhnekamsk was attacked by a UAV. We want to tell the residents of Tatarstan…
, The Czech Senate raises historic Belarusian flag on the anniversary of suppressed protests August 10, 2026 News On Sunday, 9 August, the Czech Senate raised the white-red-white historical Belarusian flag to commemorate…
The leader of the Free Udmurtia movement, Nikolai Suvorov, has submitted documents to participate in the elections July 31, 2026 News Today, 25 July, Nikolai Suvorov, co-chairman of the Liberation Movement "Free Udmurtia," submitted his nomination…
Russian citizens must be held accountable for all crimes committed against Ukrainian civilians and military personnel – for every destroyed home, every broken life, and every life taken July 24, 2026 News About five days ago, supporters of the government of independent Tatarstan in exile—operating underground against…