Skip to main content

Anti-imperial Block of Nations

The Estonian Internal Security Service (KAPO) detained pro-Kremlin blogger Oleg Besedin on Tuesday, 4 November, on suspicion of non-violent activity directed against the Republic of Estonia and of violating international sanctions.

Source: Estonian Prosecutor’s Office, as reported by European Pravda, citing Estonian newspaper Postimees

Details: Besedin is suspected of cooperating with individuals acting in the interests of Russian intelligence services and of taking part in Russia’s information influence operations since at least 2022.

“The security threats linked to Besedin’s activities have been highlighted earlier in our annual reports and public statements. There are now grounds to suspect Besedin of committing a state crime,” said Taavi Narits, Deputy Director General of the Internal Security Service.

“Through Kremlin-led information influence, in which Besedin is suspected of participating, attempts were made to create opportunities for Russia to interfere in the internal affairs of the Republic of Estonia,” he added.

Among other things, Besedin is suspected of repeatedly sharing content from Russian media channels that are under sanctions, which is regarded as a violation of European Union sanctions.

“In Estonia, non-violent activity aimed against the Republic of Estonia that harms our independence, sovereignty or territorial integrity is also punishable as a state crime. Active and deliberate participation in Russian influence operations is likewise punishable. According to the notice of suspicion, Oleg Besedin’s actions went beyond constitutionally protected discussion and became deliberate activity in the interests of a state hostile to Estonia,” Chief Prosecutor Taavi Pern stated.

The arrest of Oleg Besedin, a well-known propagandist blogger and administrator of the Facebook group People of Tallinn, was first reported on the evening of 4 November by Oleg Ivanov, a former board member of the pro-Kremlin party Koos.

In a video message posted on his Facebook page, Ivanov, who fled to Russia in 2024, said he had “extremely unpleasant news”: “Here’s the news: today at 11:00, KAPO officers broke into the studio of Oleg Besedin – my comrade from our YouTube channel and my friend.”

Ivanov said that around 20 officers from the Internal Security Service had been involved. “They conducted a search that lasted all day and supposedly found something,” he said.

Ivanov added that Besedin had been taken away at around 19:00: “We don’t know Oleg’s whereabouts at this moment.” The Russian-speaking Facebook group People of Tallinn, administered by Besedin, was blocked yesterday and his YouTube channel no longer appears in searches.

Ivanov complained that these were the last channels in Estonia that supposedly allowed people with any opinions to speak, including those whose views they – Besedin and Ivanov – did not share. In reality, those who followed their activities noted that there were no differing opinions on their platforms.

Ivanov is currently on the international wanted list. Estonia has not listed him for his openly pro-Kremlin activity but on suspicion of cryptocurrency fraud.

Background: In 2023, the Estonian Internal Security Service detained Allan Hantsom, a member of the pro-Kremlin party Koos, on suspicion of espionage against the country.

Українська правда

More from the category

In Russian-occupied Bashkortostan, an oil refinery caught fire after a UAV attack August 19, 2026 News In Ufa, a plant at one of the oil refineries caught fire after a drone…
1,300 km from the border: The General Staff confirmed a strike on a refinery in Bashkortostan temporarily occupied by Russia August 13, 2026 News On the night of 13 August, the Defenсe Forces struck the Gazprom Neftekhim Salavat oil…
Statement from the Tatarstan Independence Committee regarding the drone attack on Nizhnekamsk August 10, 2026 News Today, Nizhnekamsk was attacked by a UAV. We want to tell the residents of Tatarstan…
, The Czech Senate raises historic Belarusian flag on the anniversary of suppressed protests August 10, 2026 News On Sunday, 9 August, the Czech Senate raised the white-red-white historical Belarusian flag to commemorate…
The leader of the Free Udmurtia movement, Nikolai Suvorov, has submitted documents to participate in the elections July 31, 2026 News Today, 25 July, Nikolai Suvorov, co-chairman of the Liberation Movement "Free Udmurtia," submitted his nomination…
Russian citizens must be held accountable for all crimes committed against Ukrainian civilians and military personnel – for every destroyed home, every broken life, and every life taken July 24, 2026 News About five days ago, supporters of the government of independent Tatarstan in exile—operating underground against…